64 El Pueblo Plaza de Los Angeles
This historic public space was laid out in 1818. The present location is the third and final location, having moved there in the mid 1800s. Often ringed in for Sunday bullfights in the 1830s and 1840s, the Plaza was surrounded by homes of rancheros and public buildings in its early days. In the 1870s, it was deemed an official city park. In the early 20th Century, it was the public place designated for free speech activities by radicals, workers, and other progressives. Today the Plaza, Olvera Street, and other surrounding buildings are part of the 44-acre El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument. The Monument is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Los Angeles Plaza Historic District. Read more at the Angelitas web site.
Learn more about Monuments, Diversity and Democracy.