Perry House (Mount Pleasant)
Built in 1876 for prominent businessmen and lumber baron, William Hayes Perry. This house is the largest at the museum and once was the largest house in Los Angeles. Perry came to Los Angeles from Ohio in 1854. Within a few years, he helped organize the Los Angeles Gas Co., which installed gaslights downtown, and later became President of the Los Angeles Water Co. The Perry family included wife Elizabeth and four children, the eldest, Mamie, was an accomplished opera singer.
Designed by EF Kysor, this Greek Revival/Italinante home features interior hardwood floors, slanted bay windows, narrow columns, sweeping staircase, and four marble fireplace mantles.
In 1888, the house was bought by Judge Stephen C. Hubbell, the first treasurer of the City of Los Angeles, and a founder of the University of Southern California. Judge Hubbell donated Westlake (now MacArthur) park to the city of Los Angeles. The house was moved in 1975 from Pleasant Ave in Boyle Heights and was later donated to the museum by the Colonial Dames of America in 1995.
Learn more about Monuments, Diversity, and Democracy.